Hi. I’m John – a Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada based 3D printing advocate, consultant & instructor, technologist, blogger, traveler, photographer (I like to shoot concerts, music festivals and events), speaker, maker & all around curious person. Need to Contact me?
- Founded Cactus Studios January 2015
- Collaborator with Douglas Coupland on the 3DCanada Project
- co-founded 3D604.org, a club of 3d printing enthusiasts who meet monthly and help share our knowledge of 3d printing at many events
- On-Air contributor for Wired Wednesdays on News 1130 radio in Vancouver
- Media Coordinator for the Vancouver Mini Maker Faire (2016, 2017)
- published my first book in 2014, 3D Printing with AutoDesk 123D
- Past advisor at Pinshape.com
- producer of the Tekeh podcast
- spoken at numerous conferences including SXSW Interactive, BIL, Northern Voice, BarCamp and many others
- was named a Top 100 Innovator in 3D Printing in 2013 & 2014
- Top 20 Influencer in 3D Printing in 2014
- Listed in the 10 movers and shakers to watch in 3D printing
- regular contributor to Miss604.com and the DottoTech show
- Previously contributed to the Province newspaper and London Drugs blogs as well as doing a weekly Tech Tuesday segment on News 1130 radio and many other online, print, radio and television outlets around the world
- Past co-curator of the 3D Printing Reading List on Startup Digest
As you can see on my site, I’m interested in and play with a lot of different things and this site is meant to document those explorations.
Sadly, I’m not related to Ferris and my last name is pronounced “Bee-lur”.
Fun geeky fact: One of my first websites in the late 1990’s was a blog (before they were called blogs) that documented the design and construction of a full size video arcade cabinet (later expanded to cover additional cabinets and other games added to my collection). This cabinet housed a computer that ran M.A.M.E. and was connected to real arcade controls on the cabinet which enabled it to emulate and play over 5000 different classic arcade games. I built this cabinet on the balcony of my 9th story apartment in the West End of Vancouver. If you lived below me, I’m sorry about the sawdust!
I have a pretty damn cool voicemail greeting too.
Little known fact: I formed a theatre troupe (the Keyhole Theatre Company) with some friends and produced, directed and acted in many live theatre productions around Vancouver during the early 90’s.
Full disclosure: Unless otherwise stated, everything on my site is my own. I almost always just use my photos in all my posts, review products that I have purchased myself, and post videos that I’ve produced myself. I do occasionally benefit from review copies of various items/gadgets/tours etc and always declare how I came into possession of them so there is no question and I have the freedom to say if it sucks or not. If something posted here isn’t of my own creation or purchase, I’ll give credit to the originator (to the best of my abilities – sometimes it’s hard to source the origin but I’ll mention that in the credits).