It’s been a few weeks since my last build update so I figured it might be good time to post some updates on all the printers I’ve got on the go at the moment.
I’ve been tweaking my Prusa quite a bit lately and have been getting really good results as you can see:
I’m still using Sprinter with the latest version of Slic3r. Will attempt to migrate to the latest Marlin this weekend but am beginning to suspect some issues with RAMPS 1.4 boards as those with RAMPS 1.3 or lower seem to have no issues.
I’ve been working with Brad (Sublime) in testing his design for the Tantillus. Originally designed with a fully printable frame, I’ve encountered issues printing the frame in ABS on my MakerBot. The frame is comprised of 3 levels of 4 quarters of the frame and each is a huge print for the Thing-O-Matic’s build area taking 3-5 hours to print. The biggest problem is cracking from tall prints as evidenced by the photo above. Even after enclosing the walls of my bot with acrylic windows, I still had issues printing it. It’s likely possible with someone’s bot, just not mine…at least in ABS plastic. Brad’s prototype model was done in PLA and even he had some curling.
To combat this, Brad’s also made a version that can be either CNC milled or laser cut in wood or acrylic. We tested this out last weekend thanks to Derek’s CNC mill:
and here’s Brad’s updated wood frame version, complete with an awesome Tantillus logo:
We’ll be building the prototype versions over the coming weeks and report back once everything is sorted and working.
Other fun stuff
I met Andrew from Glitch 3D Models (who operates a BFB Touch 3d printer) at the Maker Faire event at the Museum of Vancouver last week and he brought his own GIANT Yoda to our regular group meeting:
It was a 36 hour print done in PLA. He maxed out his build area with only a few mm left to go so Yoda has a flatish head.
It’s very cool to see the ever growing variety of 3d printers in the area and it’s been a blast sharing ideas with everyone.