Just upgraded successfully from 1.1.1 to 1.1.3 using this tutorial.
Modified steps I used:
- sync to backup your stuff
- download and restore to 1.1.3 using the Option Restore method in the tutorial
- after about 10 minutes or so, you are at iTunes saying your SIM isn’t valid. Tutorial says to start the command line steps, I skipped them and just used the GUI version (see #2 post in the tutorial)
- check all options (jailbreak, activate and unlock) in the GUI app and wait 2.5 minutes for it to complete
- you should have a working iPhone but possibly no cell service – just reboot the iPhone and it should ‘just work’
Note this will UNLOCK any phone. If you walk into an Apple Store today, the method above will unlock it so you can use it on any network without having to buy some kind of SIM hack (ala Turbo/StealthSIM).
Small warning: We tried this method on a Vista machine (obviously using the PC version of the software) and the unlock portion didn’t work but it did activate and jailbreak the phone at 1.1.3. Tried the same iPhone on a Mac with the GUI tool and it worked so if you can, use a Mac (or possibly XP). It could have just been my friend’s Vista install causing the problems so YMMV.
Update: If you already have an older firmware installed (and activated), you can simply upgrade to 1.1.3 via iTunes then run the ZiPhone app. It doesn’t get much easier than that.